Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thank You to All Who Serve

Hello Friends:

A few weeks ago we welcomed home two bus loads of New Richmond community members who were serving in Iraq for the last 14+ months. On those buses were former students, brothers, fathers, uncles, local leaders and heroes who didn't hesitate to leave their lives and their families to serve others.

As they were set to arrive home, we lined Main Street with hundreds of other community members to welcome them home. Abby was super excited to sit in the back of the truck and wave as the buses came by.



When the buses rolled on down the street, I was overcome with emotion. I was relieved for their safe return. I was thinking about all those families who didn't see their loved ones for over 14 months. I was thinking of all the moms whose children were on those buses. I was thinking about all the people who make the decision to become part of the military, knowing the sacrifices they will make for the benefit of others.

Wheww! I cried and I cried lots! Abby was wondering what was up because even Dean had tears in his eyes. We had to explain happy tears versus sad tears, but what a great lesson to learn at such a young age!

I am so thankful for those individuals near and far who fight for our freedom.

As a side note...much less serious...check out the color of my blog and my great new green coat in the photo! Gotta love Land's End!! This ensemble was part of my Christmas present from Abby and Dean. I love it because it's unique! :)

Grateful for freedom,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment