Thursday, April 28, 2011

Two More Sleeps...

The title of this post probably resonates with you if you have children. It sure is easier to describe how far something is away by the number of sleeps you must have before it arrives. Kids just get it!

In two more sleeps, Abby will be Junior Royalty for the New Richmond High School Prom. This gala event has been a month in the making! My pal, Mandi is the prom advisor and asked if Abby would like to be royalty this year so that some other kids get to do it next year. Traditionally the youngsters are in Kindergarten.

Well, it's happening...according to Abby, I am living with the "Junior Prom Queen." She's been quite hilarious throughout the whole process. Here are a few reasons why she's cracked us up in the last month...

1. When talking about the idea of her participation, I asked her if she knew what prom was. Her comment: "Mom, it's where girls dress in fancy dresses and get their hair done, and wear new shoes and pretty jewels and dance with boys." So I asked her how she knew that, and she replied, "I just know, Mom."

2. She's walking with a Kindergartener named Drew. His dad is our Health teacher at school. When we talked to her about walking with him she said, "Well am I going to meet him before Prom? What if I don't like him? Can I invite Reis instead?" I say to her, "Well, that's not really an option dear, as you and Drew are the only two little people invited to the prom."

3. Every day she asked about going to get her special dress and jewels. Since I have had a few busy weeks, and we've been dealing with the potential for a Fountain City flood, our days were numbered to find the perfect dress. So when Dean took her to Fountain City one weekend, I went shopping and brought home the motherload of dresses for her to try on. Here's some evidence of our fashion show at home. She's such a fashion diva!















She picked one of these dresses, but you'll have to stay tuned for the official pictures! haha I just love her runaway approach and all her funny poses. A real fashion diva!

4. About a week after we brought up Drew, we were out to dinner and all of a sudden out of the blue she said, "So I have been thinking about this Drew guy a lot. I am concerned about him not knowing what I look like. I am going to make him a card and put one of my school pictures in there so he can see me before Prom." So that night she drew him a picture and cut out one of her school pictures and tombowed that right on there. I played deliverer to Drew's dad and she felt better about the whole thing.

5. On our girls day out last Friday, we went shopping for shoes and jewelry. We took back almost all the dresses she didn't choose (of course she convinced her sucker mom to keep a few!) Here she is trying on some fun sandals at Kohl's. When we got to Charming Charlie's, she was fried. In fact, she asked me to carry her to the car! hahaha You can tell she's past her prime from the photo below.





6. Abby decided she wanted flowers for Prom. So she figured out that is she got a flower for Drew that he'd get her one too. Off to Family Fresh we went so she could order her flower with Dena there.



The Grand March tickets are purchased and I think we're almost ready for this gala event. Grandma and Grandpa Zabel are bringing Gibby and the Heintz's will join us. Prom practice is on Friday night. Drew and Abby will meet for the first time! Halleluja! We'll keep you posted.

Sometimes, my daughter is too funny and too cute for words...other times I look at her and think she's 12 years old already! Where did the time go?!

Enjoy your day,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment